Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

I want a simple document which confirms my ownership of a car

I want a simple document which confirms my ownership of a car of which my son will be the registered keeper - MUST BE UK LAW OR DO NOT ANSWER PLEASE
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.
Matt Jones :

HI I will try and help

Matt Jones :

We don't provide documentation as a service here, just advice and replies to your questions

Matt Jones :

However as to your issue there is nothing too complex that you would require in any event. If you are the person who purchased the vehicle then your proof of purchase would be sufficient to evidence that you are the owner.

Matt Jones :

As a belt and braces approach,, evidence the agreement between you and your son, you would simply need a "memorandum of understanding" in the form of a letter signed by both of you stating that you both agree that you are the owner.

Matt Jones :

Of course as your son is the registered keeper he must understand he will be responsible and answerable to any speeding fine, parking fines etc.

Matt Jones :

I hope this deals with your issues. If you have any additional questions please ask.

Customer:

Customer:

I understand that you cannot supply an actual agreement but can you just list the paragraph headings in the "Memorandum of Understanding? of this type?

Matt Jones :

I really dont think it requires more that simply a paragraph; something like:

Matt Jones :

"We, ....................... and ........................ agree and understand that whilst the vehicle model ......................... with registration number ................................... is to be registered with registered keepers name .............................. the legal ownership of the said vehicle continues to remain and vest in ..................................... Signed .......................... Dated.

Customer:

HDoes it need witnessing?

Matt Jones :

No, only a Deed requires a witness. However it wont harm matters if you do.

Matt Jones :

I hope this helps. If you leave me positive feedback I can be paid for my tie today. the question wont close and if you require further assistance later on you can revisit and as further questions.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.