Dear Solicitors, We are renting a room in a shared property.

Customer Question

Dear Solicitors,
We are renting a room in a shared property. Since we moved in, about 1 year ago, we have problems with the water system. They keep sending a plumber or engineer to repair it but it never fixed for long. Often we don't have hot water for days. Sometimes we have no water at all. When we report the problem to the agency the service is very slow and not effective at all. So far we have been patient with the situation and the agency but as we dont have hot water again we are really not happy and would like to find out our rights to complain or get compensation. / The agency holds our deposit and we are conserned that it will never be refunded. Also there is a bank below the flat which has now a major problem as the broken boilers floaded the bank.
Also, the fire alarm system is faulty. The agency is aware but no one takes action.
it is a old flat and we are conserned that there is an electric fault in the system, has it happens that light bulbs need to be replaced constantly and some of our flatmates had their bulbs exploding in the room.
All your help and advise would be much appreciated.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Our names are ***** ***** Raquel.

We are wondering how can we assure our deposit will be returned and how can we force the landlord to fix the boiler effectively.

Also, we would like know if we can demand a compensation for all the inconvenience.

If you need further details please do let us know.

Kind regards,

Raquel & Tamas

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There isn't any way of guaranteeing that he will return your deposit. That depends entirely on him. All you can do is take action if he does not. If does not then unless there are damages or arrears you will be able to complain to the scheme or the courts depending on the type of contract.
In terms of fixing the bioler, that is an essential repair. If he refuses to do it then you can always complaint to environmental health. There shouldn't be any difficulty with them being interested in this matter. This is not a minor repair if you have no hot water.
You cannot claim compensation for inconvenience in the UK. You have to show that there are clear losses. If the landlord is being dilatory and therefore you have no hot water you may be entitled to a reduction in rent to cover the period for which there was no hot water. Reductions of 10-20% are common throughout that period.
The fire alarm system should be in good order if it is there at all but is only required by law if this is a house in multiple occupation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer.
Could you please confirm how much we paid for your answer as we have received twice a confirmation about 38gbp. Sorry, we just a bit confused.

Best regards,

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You need to email customer services about that here***@******.***
I think you have posted twice but I am never involved in that side of things. They can sort it out for you though.