Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

I believe my brother in law has had an Attachment of Earnings

Customer Question

I believe my brother in law has had an Attachment of Earnings Order made against him.
He is claiming the arrangement was made without him being required to appear in court.
Is this possible?
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.
Matt Jones :

HI There I will try and help.

Matt Jones :

An attachment of earnings order is a form of enforcement of a judgement that has been put in place by a Court following a money order judgement.

Matt Jones :

If an application is made for an attachment of earnings order that your brother would have been served with papers showing the application, this is part of the process. He would then have been given the opportunity of replying within 8 days, showing his incoming and outgoings etc. If he didn't reply then a hearing would have been arranged and he would have been given the chance to attend. If he didn't attend this hearing then an order would have been made in his absence

Matt Jones :

I trust this helps but do ask any follow up questions.

Matt Jones :

If you are satisfied at present then please leave me positive feedback so I can be paid for my time. The question wont close and you can revisit and ask any follow up questions later down the line.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mr. Jones,

Many thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

It has clarified the situation, (We are now far more confident that the

information he gave us was correct). We only found out about the AEO by accident, (hidden along with many other mixed papers).

no problem, all good