Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

My husband has left. The property is in my name only. He

My husband has left. The property is in my name only. He refuses to give me his set of house keys back to the house. Can I have the locks changed?
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.
Matt Jones :

Hi I will try and help

Matt Jones :

The simply answer is Yes!

Matt Jones :

the property is yours and so you can do what you please with it. If you feel there is a degree of security concerns then by all means change the locks.

Matt Jones :

If you are satisfied at present then please leave me positive feedback so I can be paid for my time. The question wont close and you can revisit and ask any follow up questions later down the line.

Customer:

Thank you. I am assuming that if I proceed to divorce then the property could be at risk.

Matt Jones :

If you proceed with a divorce then the property will form part of the matrimonial assets, t be divided in accordance with the Courts ruling. If you have children then it is unlikely that the property will be forced to be sold until they reach 18

Customer:

That is the problem my daughter is now 18 and at university.

Matt Jones :

Ok thanks. Sorry just had to nip away

Matt Jones :

AS I say the property will form part o the matrimonial assets, but it is difficult at this early stage to say whether it would need to be sold to realise the equity . If there are other assets involved it could, be that these could be divided to avoid the necessity

Matt Jones :

has your husband intimated that the property should be sold?

Customer:

Not yet but he only left us on 14/12/2014 to be in a new relationship. I will need to have a discussion with him. However, he has been coming to the house and taking things away which I am not happy about hence considering changing the locks as I do not appear to have any control over the situation.

Matt Jones :

Well there is nothing in law to say you cant change the locks as the property is yours. It is best to try and take the upper hand and indicate that, if he wishes to have some of his personal belongings he either gives you list to get together or makes a specific arrangement to collect them at a time and date convenient to you .That way in any future proceeding you can show you are being as reasonable as possible.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice. No doubt further issues will arise as I walk this unfamiliar path.

Matt Jones :

yes of course. I wish you all the best through this troubling time for you

Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
My name is***** am a family law specialist and I will do my best to help you
You can indeed change the locks HOWEVER your husband has Matrimonial Home rights and is entitled to return to the property at any time - and can request a key.
Since he is not a joint owner on the deeds breaking in would technically be a criminal offence - but it is unlikely that he would be prosecuted.