31090051

My brother & I inherited our parents' house. It needs a lot

My brother & I inherited our parents' house. It needs a lot of money spent on it. I can't afford repairs & wish to sell. My brother doesn't. What is the law? Am I allowed to put it on the market, for it either to sell, or him to buy me out, if he wishes?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
As you own the house in joint names it requires joint agreement for a sale or for one to buy out the other.
If you can't agree, you can apply to the court and ask for an order to sell the property. You would be as well to reach agreement as there is no defence to such an action so your brother is really faced with selling or buying you out whether it goes to court or not, but you can't market or sell without both signatures.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. This is exactly what I thought.