Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My partner has just died after 25 years together. We own(ed)

My partner has just died after 25 years together. We own(ed) our house 50/50. He has left his half in trust so long as I live in the house or when I die he has left his share to three charities. Do I have any grounds to contest his will?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

You have grounds to contest the Will IF reasonable financial provision has not been left to you in your partner's Will.

As regards ***** ***** provided he has granted you a right to remain living there for the rest of your life is deemed reasonable, in that you have a roof over your head for the rest of your life.

The next question is whether you have sufficient "cash" to remain living in the property. If you were financially dependent on your partner (ie he paid all the Bills and also the housekeeping), and your partner left no money for you in his Will, then you would have a claim on this ground. However, in simple terms, if you have your own money to pay your way, then you are unlikely to have any grounds to make a claim.

I hope you appreciate I can only give you a general view, but hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

If you have any doubts, you should have a long chat with a local Probate Solicitor who can sit down with you and go through the above in detail.

Kind Regards

AL