Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Ihave no paid ground rent for several years because I stopped

Customer Question

Ihave no paid ground rent for several years because I stopped receiving the bill I did write to the company who collected the ground rent but they said they were no longer filling this role ive heard nothing from anyone now for over ten years where do I stand?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome.

Alex J. :

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Alex J. :

How much ground rent do you owe?

JACUSTOMER-20kv3unu- :

+I am not sure it must be 20 years since I had a bill max 50£

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. I can tell you the following under the Limitation Act 1980 - the landlord will be statute barred definitely from claiming any sum that is older than 12 years.

Alex J. :

Depending on the wording of the lease it is also likely that any sum older than 6 years is also statute barred from being claimed. At most you are probably only liable for the last 6 years ground rent and those sums that are older than 6 years and have not been demanded are now unenforceable.

Alex J. :

If you want free lease advice in the future I would recommend you contact this Government Service.

Alex J. :

http://www.lease-advice.org/

Alex J. :

I would also note that often landlords cannot bring a county court claim for sums that are less than about £900

Alex J. :

I would just prepared yourself to have to pay the last six years if anyone does make a demand.