31090051

Our 18 year old daughter (19 in March 2015) is unhelpful and

Our 18 year old daughter (19 in March 2015) is unhelpful and constantly rude and dismissive to both of us as her parents. We ask her to help around the house (minimal basic stuff) and she does nothing. She is at Strathclyde University and gets a student loan plus has a part time job but pays us no dig money. She also comes and goes as she pleases. Her constant sneering and rudeness towards us is making our home a very unhappy place. Can we ask her to move into halls? What are our rights? Thanks so much
Jo C. :

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Jo C. :

Does she pay rent?

Customer:

No she stays with us for free (we live in Scotland by the way).

Jo C. :

I will move this to Scots law for you.

Customer:

Customer:

Can you advise how long it will take to receive an answer? I am unsure if I should close this just now.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Under Scots law your daughter is of an age that you can insist that she leaves your house.
However, as she is in full time education you do have a legal duty to pay maintenance to her according to your resources and her needs. So, for example if she was to move into halls you may find that you would have to finance that as well as her other reasonable living costs. The fact that she has a student loan is not something that is taken into account. The duty of maintenance lasts until she finishes full time education or training or until she is 25 whichever is the earlier.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.