29905560

Hi there I received a drugs conviction on October 2012. It

Hi there I received a drugs conviction on October 2012. It was for possession of a class A drug and was fined £265 as my sentence. I reside in Scotland so is my criminal record unspent or spent under the recent law changes last March 2014? Also when applying for home and car insurance if I am a Scottish resident even if the companies are based in England would I still need to inform them of my criminal record?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

As one year has passed since the date of conviction, this offence will now be deemed as spent, so you would not need to declare it if you are asked whether you have any unspent convictions or a criminal record. Yu would only need to advise them if you are asked if you have spent offences or if you have ever been convicted of a criminal offence. The fact you are in Scotland and the companies in England is irrelevant as the law is the same and would apply equally in both countries.

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer:

Ah right ok so just to be clear from your response my criminal conviction is now regarded as spent both within Scots law and the English and Welsh law?

Ben Jones :

Yes, fines now become spent after a year following conviction