12826847

My mother is terminally ill, she does not have a will and I

My mother is terminally ill, she does not have a will and I am an only child, we are joint owners of the house we are in now other than that she has no other assets or savings. She has two sisters and a brother, can they ask for any of the money from the sale of the house. (I will have to sell ASAP after her death as I won't be able to afford the house on my own)
Many Thanks
Andrea Nye
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If your mother died intestate (no will) then her estate passes in accordance with the rules of intestacy.

Those rules are here

http://www.graysons.co.uk/wills-intestacy.html

You will see that provided you are the only child and she has no spouse or living parent, you get all the estate.

If the property is jointly owned as joint tenants you would get the house anyway regardless of what it says in the will or under the rules of intestacy. If it is tenants in common, then it passes in accordance with the will or intestacy which means that you get it regardless. It’s just that if the property is held as tenants in common rather than joint tenants, you will need to apply for probate.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** exactly what I thouhgt and you made it very clear for me

Andrea

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/