12826847

Hi,do you know what exceptional circumstances mean when

Customer Question

do you know what exceptional circumstances mean when taking a child out of school.
my wife mum lives in India and is quite ill so she has to go and visit which means my 6 six year old will go with her but that means we need to take him out of school for 5 days - she's going for 2 weeks but we will combine it with half term in February.
will that be allowable under the new rules ?
thanks
H
Family holidays are not exceptional circumstances I'm afraid.
Usually it covers things like the death or severe illness of a family member or to attend a wedding or a funeral.
It can include lots of things. It turns upon facts of the case.
However, a specific exclusion is a family holiday I'm afraid. It depends how ill your wife's mother is. If it is literally life threatening then that might be sufficient. You will need to evidence it though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for that Jo - how would we prove her state of health - would her doctors letter be sufficient

Yes, medical confirmation will be fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks Jo

No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.