LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hello my son paid what we believe was a holding deposit for

Hello my son paid what we believe was a holding deposit for student accommodation (house rental for one year through an agent). He and two others did this before Year end for a house 5 of them were due to occupy from Sep 15. The other two were due to pay their share of deposit first week this month (Jan 15) but in the event one has dropped out! Unless the remaining 4 can find a new 5th person to join them they will not be able to afford the letting and will have to withdraw! Can the letting agent keep the 3 deposits that have been paid so far as unrefundable? Total paid to date 3 x £400 = £1,200?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

The short answer to this is that if this was indeed a holding deposit then yes the landlord/agent can do that. It might be worth checking the agreement that was signed but this sort of thing is unfortunately very common.