Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

How can I sue a company that owe me over 14k when they have

Customer Question

How can I sue a company that owe me over 14k when they have registered there business address at my Business address
You mean that they haven't changed the registration?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

No they havent changed the registered office I didnt even know they had registered at my business premises till I checked up with companies house.

Alan

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.

Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** my colleague has asked me to assist you. Do you have an invoice for the £14k that is outstanding with this company? Is the company still trading? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes we have invoices for the 14k and yes they are still trading.

Best Regards

Alan

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Ultimately you have the following options:
1. If the sum is undisputed then serve the company with a statutory demand. If the company does not respond to the demand within 21 days you will then be able to consider petition for a winding up order - if the owner values the business then the SD will put huge pressure on them to pay up. This is also an in expensive way of putting pressure of a debtor to pay up;
https://www.gov.uk/statutory-demands/overview
2. Commence County Court Proceedings - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome - you can start a money claim on line here - this process will be relatively slow but once you have a county court Judgment you can send bailiffs to them to recover goods to settle the debt at their place of business.
3. Make a criminal complaint - potentially they have stolen from you - if you can identify the director or manager of the company that has taken these products you may have grounds to prove theft.
Other considerations:
- In relation to the service any proceedings would have to be served at the registered office (even if that is your own address) - and I would also send them to the last known address of the company director and/or any address contained on any contract you signed with company;
- Did you request a personal guarantee from either of the shareholders or directors of the company in respect of the rent?
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ