12826847

Hello, is there any set procedures/protocols a local authority

Customer Question

Hello, is there any set procedures/protocols a local authority in England must use if they intend to withdraw a Magistrates' Court summons for unpaid council tax? Thank you.
Only that they have to inform the court of the withdrawal of the summons. They can do that by post or usually verbally at court.
Generally they do not withdraw the summons but the proceedings and the summons flows from that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello, many thans for your quick response. Sorry, I probably did not make my self clear. Are the local authority or Magistrates Court' required to inform the person summonsed that the summons has been withdrawn, and if so, and the person summonsed is not informed what are the consequences if that person attends the Magistrates' Court for the hearing? Thank you.

They should really inform.
Failing to do so could lead to an application for travel costs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks again!

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.