LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My daughter and I moved into a private rented property 6 months

My daughter and I moved into a private rented property 6 months ago,on the advert which I do not have anymore,it stated pet friendly.Due to losing my dog previous to moving in,we have decided now to have another dog from the rspca,which only has 3 legs. It states on our rent agreement,the following not permitted(keep pets of any kind without landlords consent) The landlord has refused consent,stating that due to a bad experience with another tenant and damages costing him two thousand pound. We have emailed offering in writing any damages caused we will replace carpets and pay for any damage, we have told him that I am at home all day due to depression and I had my last dog for 14 years which helps me get out. We would not have took the house if it had not said pet friendly. I feel it is unfair we are being discriminated. Do we have any rights,as nobody wants this dog and it will get put down. Thankyou for your time
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

How long is your tenancy for?

Customer:

we have just signed for another six months from 27th december

LondonlawyerJ :

Ok so the position here is that on the terms of the tenancy you are not allowed to have a pet. But this contradicts the advertising about the flat. The signed contract will take precedence here so you are not entitled to keep a pet at the flat. However, the landlord would find it hard to gain possession of the flat on the basis had a pet unless a great deal of damage had been done by the dog so although you do not have the right to have a pet the likelihood is that your landlord could not force you not to have a pet if you got one.

LondonlawyerJ :

But, and this is a big but, if the tenancy ends in 6 months he can get possession of the property without needing to give any reasons when the tenancy ends. So if you got the dog he could wait until the end of the tenancy and then evict you easily.

Customer:

thankyou for the help. just to make sure that as been a one of payment,as do not want to subscribe to monthly payments,thankyou.