Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

I have an offer to work company based in BVI. I live

I have an offer to work for the company based in BVI. I live in UK and haven't worked here before. Do I need to apply for National Insurance Number before I start to work?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for response. I'll surely wait for an answer.

Elena

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please continue to search. Thank you.

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Hi Can you clarify your question please. Are you talking about working in BVI or working for a BVI company in the UK. If you are working in the UK and being paid here then yes you need a NI number. You apply in the first instance to a job centre - see here:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Yu have to have the right to work in the uk to get one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for responding. I am going to work for BVI company in the UK. The question was whether I have to get NI number before I start to work or I could do it later.

Well your employer and HMRC will need your NI number so you ought ot have it before you start work but if you have not it will not be a major issue as long as you have one fairly quickly thereafter and before you r employer has to start accounting of national insurance contributions which would normally be after a month,
It is not a breach of the law by itself to work without one but it may cause difficulty for you an your employer and they can insist on it.
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor with more than 30 years experience