Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

HI. I am just a bit baffled with an issue at the moment. I

HI. I am just a bit baffled with an issue at the moment. I don't see eye to eye with any of my family. I know im in my gran and granddads will. my grandfather passed away 15 months ago and my nan is in a nursing home with altzhimers. to me its not about the money but the trust of my family. am I legally allowed a copy of that will? many thanks
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Are you asking if you can see your Granddad's Will or your Nan's Will?

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi as stated its my nan and granddads will. my granddad has passed and my nan is in a nursing home. my name is ***** ***** will. my nan is still living in a nursing home with altzhimers. my mother gave me 2000 when my granddad passed. said it was off him? so my question is, my name is ***** ***** will, one has passed one mentally ill. am I entitled to look and ask the solicitor to see the will? I hope I get an answer this time as a single working mother with one child disabled, working as a hairdresser, I cannot afford to keep replying when my question is, am I entitled to see the will. this is about my familys deceit to me all my life. not the money. a simple yes your entitled to see it or no is all I am asking. that is my question. thank you

Hi Claire,

Thanks for your reply.

A Will needs to be prepared for each person, so there will be a Will for your Granddad and a separate Will for your Nan.

A Will is a private document and whilst the person is alive, is not available to view by anybody else unless this person allows someone to see it. Therefore, you are not legally entitled to see your Nan's Will, unless your Nan willingly lets you see it, which I am guessing won't happen as she has alzheimer's.

As regards ***** *****'s Will, it appears you were left £2,000 which you have received. Under law, a beneficiary is entitled to see a copy extract from the Will showing their legacy. Therefore, if you were indeed gifted £2,000, all you are legally entitled to see is the clause in the Will stating your legacy.

However, if Probate was granted in respect of your Granddad's Will (this is required where the deceased left over £5,000 in their Estate), the Will becomes a public document, and any member of the public is entitled to apply for a copy via the post from the Leeds Probate Registry, for a nominal fee. Please have a look at the website- just google "copy Will Leeds Probate Registry".

If you think your Granddad may indeed have left you more money than the £2,000 you will soon be able to see, once you receive a copy of his Will.

I hope this helps you and answers your question.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further queries.

Kind Regards

AL