Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

How much will it cost two Russian citizens and one British

Customer Question

How much will it cost two Russian citizens and one British citizen, to collectively copyright worldwide, a book with no known copyright and which is more than one hundred years old ?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
HI I am sorry you have had to wait for an answer. Copyright in literary works is vested in the the author who can sell it or licence it but you cannot create a new copyright in an original work.Copyright is created automatically by production the work. You cannot copyright something later merely acquire the copyright from the owner. It is likely that copyright in something created 100 years ago will have expired. You could possibly create copyright in translation or derivative work but not not in the original. I am sure that is not the answer you were hoping for but i am afraid it is the legal position.