75100385

my name is home I rent, what I want to

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** for my home I rent, what I want to ask you is I took out a 12 months agreement with Virgin media two years ago as my home rent contracts are always 12 months minimum. When I moved to my next new rental home I still wanted their services so I agreed to another 12 months with them over the phone, this was paid right up to the last month then I had to move to a new home. I gave my 30 days notice and they sent me a pack to return their kit which is what happened. They have now been harrassing me and sending threatening letters and phone calls that they are going to send the bailiffs around as I owe them £265 as the new contract was for 18 months. I told them I never agreed to any 18 months contract and I have not signed for any 18 months contract as when it was agreed by phone it was taken out for 12 months and they said nothing would change. I was told if you move I do not have to do anything apart from give them my new address so they can check if their services are in the area and arrange with an engineer to come over and install it which is what happened and a new 12 months agreement will start. They were paid the 12 months installments payment in full and I cancelled the contract after giving them their 30 days notice period but they are stressing me out and bullying me that I owe them money as it was an 18 months contract that I cancelled early whereby the 12 months were paid in full. If they want to go to court about it I have the proof so let them but can you please advise me where I stand as this company is no longer owned by Richard Branson and is using the brand name virgin media and I now know why the service of this company and the harrassment and bullying have been done to me as they are such a big company. They think they are above the law and can do what they want and I have found out that virgin media was sold to a company called Liberty Global in 2013 Febuary so I have not taken any contract or agreement with this company, if they have bought virgin media my agreement was with the previous owners and regardless of who owns it now I did not agree or sign any contract to say I want 18 months, why would I when I rent and my contracts are always 12 months.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Did they ever send you a copy of the terms or contract please?

JACUSTOMER-2zu14kk0- : They didn't send any terms but when I gave them the 30 days notice they sent me a contract for me to sign which stated 18 months to prove that was the original agreement but I have not signed or agreed anything apart from over the phone for a 12 months contract.
Alex Watts :

Ok, in that case in law you can not be bound.

Alex Watts :

If they never sent you the terms then this is against the law, because the law says you are entitled to a cooling off period for contract concluded at a distance.

Alex Watts :

As this was concluded at a distance they MUST write to you and give you a cooling off period.

Alex Watts :

If they did not this means you can cancel at any time

Alex Watts :

You should write and inform them of this.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-2zu14kk0- : That's great. Also when I originally took out the contract it was with Virgin Media and they since were sold to a company called Liberty Global and this is probably why I am having all if these problems because it's a different company using the same name, is this another argument I can put to them when I respond?
Alex Watts :

Yes it certainly is.

Alex Watts :

They are responsible for the Virgin Media issue

Alex Watts :

They can't pass the buck

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/