75100385

We are having difficulty getting a van back from the garage We

We are having difficulty getting a van back from the garage
We broke down and our breakdown company took the van to a garage of our choice.
At the time the garage said he could fix it by the end of the week that was 9 weeks ago.
We have problems with them answering the phone but when they do they always say there if a problem and it will be another week. We was promised it before Xmas now he has managed to start it but it won't run so an auto electrician is coming out in the next few days so that will be another week. I am afraid I will not be able to pay for it as the bill was estimated at £2,000-£3000 to be honest I don't think the van is worth that much.
I just need to know what I can do to get it back at a reasonable price and in a safe state I am a little afraid of upsetting him as I feel it will cost me. Please help
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know if they have done any work or given you an estimate?
Customer: Yes they have redone the head their estimate is about £2,000-£3,000
Customer: they have ordered and replaced bolts basically stripped the engine and supposedly rebuilt it with new pistons etc
Alex Watts : Ok. Do you know what a reasonable costs of this work would ordinarily be?
Alex Watts : did they provide an estimate before they started and if not was it agreed they would?
Customer: They said £2000-£3000 not sure what other garages would cost but there always seems to be something else wrong
Customer: there was a delay because he had to order special bolts then a delay cause some diesel specialist had let him down that was just before Xmas he then said he would complete it himself Xmas week
Customer: couldnt get hold of him by phone until last we'd when he said we could pick it up
Customer: we phoned to male sure and another problem where the fuel wasn't getting through so he was waiting for auto electrician we haven't heard since but all these extras must be mounting up the van is worth about £5000 so if the bill is going up it will be more than the van is worth
Alex Watts : But they have never kept you up to date?
Alex Watts : and there was a delay in repair?
Customer: Correct they have phoned us once which was last week to say it was ready
Customer: and when we have contacted them is always a delay either someone else letting them down or waiting for parts.
Customer: he never answers the phone and the garage is where my husband works the garage always seems to be locked up although my husband does work shifts and we have had Xmas hols
Customer: so not kept us up to date and several delays
Customer: By Xmas hols I mean where business are closed
Alex Watts : Have they provided a breakdown of the costs incurred to date?
Customer: No they said they will sort out the bill when we pick up the van
Alex Watts : Ok.
Alex Watts : well if it's excessive you have a complaint under the sale and supply of goods and services act 1982
Alex Watts : They should have kept you informed of the costs.
Alex Watts : If the costs are unreasonable then you can ask the court to assess them.
Alex Watts : they are entitled to be paid a reasonable sum for reasonable work done.
Alex Watts : But if they have failed to keep you informed or carry out work which was not needed or not authorised then you have cause to complain.
Alex Watts : You can issue proceedings in the county court for this.
Alex Watts : Any claim for £10,000 or less than it would be a small claim.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: If it is excessive and I need to go through the court will I have to pay first and claim back or am I better leaving the van without paying if I do this I am afraid he will remove what we have paid for and we will be back where we started
Alex Watts : You have a choice you can either pay and Sue for the money back, or when they present the bill Sue for the bill to be challenged.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
Customer: Yes thank you
Alex Watts : Great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today. The button should be at the bottom of the screen
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply
Customer: Thank you very much
Customer: is there nothing we can do about the timescale the fact that he said 1week and it will be 9 on monday
Customer: we dropped it off on the 17 th November last year
Alex Watts : Yes I agree, but this comes down to price. It does not mean you should get it for free.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience