How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70117
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am having problems getting one of my tenants to pay what

Customer Question

Hi I am having problems getting one of my tenants to pay what he owes on his rent. I have been more than generous in giving him time to pay off his arrears but he has made no effort since beginning of December, which was his last payment of £70. Amont outstanding to date is £610. His room is £280 month and he has signed a contract. As he is in breach of his contract can I kick him out or do I have to give him another warning to pay up?
Regards Carolynn
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What type of contract is this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just an ordinary contract you buy at whsmith. Still legal thou and witnessed. It's a contract for room lettings as I rent out the house as a house share but 3 individual contractso as 3 tenants.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
It is quite important which contract you are on.
Are these rooms self contained? Do these tenants share a bathroom and a kitchen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its a Tenancy agreement -England & Wales F401

(for a furnished house or flat on a assured shorthold tenancy)

It's a shared bathroom and kitchen and the house is shared so other then their own private room the rest is shared with the other tenants. There is a downstairs toilet.

Hope this helps?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
That could be a problem.
That sounds like an AST but these are individual agreements which would potentially void them.
In any event, presume that they are in force and do exist and that this is an AST.
You need to serve a S21 notice bringing the agreement to an end. It sound be S21[1] since this is an AST.
If he refuses to go then you need to seek an eviction order citing grounds 8, 10 and 11 which cover rent arrears, persistent delay and more than 2 months in arrears.
If it is an AST then you have the right to your property back because they are two montsh in arrears. If not then you can rely on the S21 notice which is all you need to bring it to an end.
Can I clarify anything for you?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions