12826847

can a policeman stood 50 metres inside a shopping centre issue

can a policeman stood 50 metres inside a shopping centre issue a ticket for a litter offence committed outside shopping centre
Yes, in short.
If littering took place in a public place then that is an offence.
If a police officer witnessed it where ever his location then he can act upon it.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many thanks for your prompt reply

policeman didn't witness. it was an operation obviously set up with planning. the offence was spotted by cctv and relayed to officer. my query is that if shopping centre is privately owned and the officer is 50 metres inside boundary he is issuing ticket incorrectly. Shouldn't ticket have been issued outside where offence took place

regards

Cyril faulkner

Oh yes, of course it was. There is not much genuine serious crime in the UK. They have to focus on minor offences.
I am sorry but I cannot agree with your interpretation though. There has never been any reason that a police officer cannot issue a fixed penalty fine in this way. A FPN is no more than an administrative means of dealing with trivial offences to reduce pressure on courts. If you choose not to pay it that is a matter for you and your right but then you run the risk of being summonsed to court and they can prosecute on CCTV.