tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Could you tell me how long a court order is enforceable fo

Could you tell me how long a court order is enforceable for
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.
tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question. My name is***** can answer this for you.

tdlawyer :

It depends on what type of Court order it is - sometimes there is no time limit.

tdlawyer :

What type of Order is it?

Customer: Hi my partner has been paying maintenance since 2006 and his ex is now trying to get arrears of £22,000 for the money which should have been indexed linked. Because at the time he was struggling but always paid on time a verbal agreement was made between them where she agreed to accept the amount with out it being indexed linked, until now. One of the children has quitted uni and started work so my partner has stopped the payments,
tdlawyer :

Okay, there is no absolute specific deadline, although for arrears over 12 months old, an application will have to be made to the Court to enforce the order.

Customer: Right so let me get this straight she would have to reapply to the court for any arrears over 12 months old. How likely is it that a judge would rule in her favour considering that she has left it so long
tdlawyer :

The court has a general discretion to allow these to proceed, which in my experience, more often than not it does.

Customer: Ok thank you
tdlawyer :

Thank you. Please do remember to rate the answer for me before leaving, and if you need anything more, just let me know.