LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My mother lived with with my sister last 16 months

Customer Question

My mother lived with with my sister for the last 16 months of her life on a quid pro quo basis. My sister's elder son living in my mum's house , paying 50% fmv rent and my mum paying his utilities. During this tim my mother received a sizeable sum in state pension. My sister used to collect it for her and "look after" it. My mum had no other expenses which she did not pay for herself. After her death I was surprised to find her Post Office account almost empty. I was expecting a balance of at least £10,000. I suspect my sister of pocketing this. Is that a criminal offence?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello, I am a solicitor over 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

JACUSTOMER-5wray9n7- :

What is your opinion?

Customer:

It is not possible to give an opinion based on what you have told me so far. In the absence of solid evidence that your sister ha been taking the money and using it for herself there will be no way to build a criminal case. Even if you could show this then would you be able to show that the money was taken without your mother's agreement?

Customer:

Have you asked your sister about the lack of money on the account?

JACUSTOMER-5wray9n7- :

We don't speak

Customer:

In order to show theft or fraud there needs to be evidence of taking your mother's money and dishonesty on the pert of the person doing the taking? How much was your mother getting in pension?

Customer:

Also why have you given me a poor service? I have given you a quick and correct answer.

Customer:

Hello, is there anything else I can help you with? I would be grateful if you would please rate my service to you as if you do to do so I will not get paid for my answer to you.