LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Harold (aged 72) my brother who is special needs lives in a

Harold (aged 72) my brother who is special needs lives in a tenanted property (3 Bed Bungalow) along with one other residence. They were placed there by the local authority who signed the tenancy on their behalf, and the rent is paid for by housing benefit.
My question is, as a private property and as the tenants are special needs, is the Landlord responsible for any adaptations, fire risk issues over and above a normal private tenancy agreement.
Raymond Dickson
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

The primary responsibility in ensuring that needs in terms of adaptation and safety are met lies with the local authority not the land lord. If there are things that are not satisfactory should be raised with them. It may be that the landlord is not fulfilling his agreement with the council. If so it is the council who can enforce. If they fail to act then it is the council you should take action against.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, is there anything else I can help you with? I would be grateful if you would please rate my service to you as if you do to do so I will not get paid for my answer to you.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry the rating was not clear. The service was good and clarified my brothers position.

R Dickson