12826847

Thank you. My partner accepts he has downloaded the images

Customer Question

Thank you. My partner accepts he has downloaded the images - but is unable to explain why or the volume of images. He has previously disclosed that he is was abused himself, he has never spoken about it until about two years ago (to me and more recently a counsellors) and that it was curiosity that made him look. What he has done makes my feel sick. His ex wife has told him that he needs to tell the police as in her words "lessen his sentence" I am not sure he believes he person has died but was charged with offences some years ago
I do think curiosity is a big factor. I don't think it is right to say that everybody who is viewing these images necessarily has a sexual interest in children. I can see that it could be just schadenfraude. I have to say that I have never got much sympathy with judges mitigating on that point though.
Similarly with abuse, there are people who disagree with me but it just never seems to get me anywhere to mitigate on that point. I think the truth is that sadly some defendants, mostly female though, take the view that they can excuse anything by claiming to have been the victim of abuse at some point opportunistically or in earnest. It is fair to say that men tend to do that to a reduced amount but sadly the fact that some people do pretend to be victims to make excuses affects the mitigation of everybody else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't believe he wants to do it to lessen or justify what he has done. But up to two years ago he had not disclosed to anyone. He blame himself for allowing the abuse and being able to tell his parents.
He knows he will have to pay for what I has done
Yes, I understand your point.