12826847

I bought this car from March from a salvage company and took

Customer Question

I bought this car from March from a salvage company and took it to a mechanic that I always use, the car had a engine management problem and took longer than normal to fix, I then receive a message from dvla stating my car is not insured. I have a traders insurance which allows me to drive and insure a large amount of cars, when they said the car wasn't insured it was still in the mechanics hands, dvla is telling me that once I bought the car I should have recorded it on my account straight away but I wasn't using the car so I didn't put it on my account just in case anything happen no one is using my insurance can you advice me on this please thanks.
I presume your trade insurance covers you for business ? In a company name or are you a sole trader?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It covers me as a sole trader and yes it covers me for business.

And this vehicle is for personal use?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No not at all, I buy them fix them to sell

I noticed that you say you have been to court. What was the outcome?
You haven't actually asked a question so what exactly is it you want to know about this? Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is asking me to produce a letter stating that the car was insured, but I can't produce that letter as the car was in the garage fixing so I'm not sure what to do

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No its not for personal use

Are you saying that you went to court but were prosecuted or that it wasn't decided on the day?

Why can't you produce a letter from your insurance company or insurance broker which confirms that car was insured on the day in question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That wasn't decided on the day because he ask me to produce a letter stating the car was insured. But I figured as I have a traders insurance I am automatically covered.

I can't produce a letter as the car was with the mechanic and I did not insure as it was not in my possession.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They could be a delay in me replying to you as I am at work so I can reply when I'm not driving sorry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they won't produce a letter cause they are saying I didn't tell them I had the car but what I'm saying is that the car was been fixed by the mechanic so I didn't see the reason to insured until it's ready to drive

In your latest reply you say that you didn't see the reason to ensure it until it's ready to drive so we are you admitting that it wasn't insured?
If it wasn't taxed or insured, did you have it on SORN?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I didn't insure it because it was by a garage it was taxed, no it wasn't sworn as I bought it I took it straight to the garage.

Unfortunately, it is an offence to have a taxed vehicle which is not insured and which is not on SORN.
I'm sorry that this is bad news for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Really OMG I didn't know that.

so even if the car is in a garage fixing and has tax on it it has to be insured?

so don't mechanics have a special insurance that they use While they fix the vehicle?

So can you tell me if I had add it to my insurance and the test drive the vehicle and something should happen the police would have turned to me.

Even if the card is in a garage being fixed, if it is taxed it must be insured or on SORN.
The law has been like that for some years now.

Mechanics have a traders policy which allows them to drive any vehicle so that was out for a test drive they are insured if they have an incident.

You are obviously not insured which is why you have the problem.

Here is the government webpage on SORN

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But I have a motor traders policy insurance as well

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But I have a traders policy insurance as well and as the car was parked in the garage was it not covered under his insurance aswell

You need a letter from the insurer or broker that confirms that the policy you have covers this car.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I have another situation that I would like to discuss I will add some bonus is it okay to disclose it to you

If I can help then I will.
If it is dissimilar then you can ask another question and request me?