75100385

on the 20th Dec 2014, I purchased a pedigree French dog

on the 20th Dec 2014, I purchased a pedigree French Bull dog pup from a breeder in Essex for £1200. I paid £200 deposit a week before I collected him and £1000 on collection.
I was happy with him and everything seemed in order .
I took him to vet for routine jabs and registration of his micro chip, all was good.
I received a call from data base firm who register the chip who questioned why my puppy had a Hungarian micro chip when he was born in uk?
after investigating it turns out that my pup was born in hungry and was in fact not born on 26/9/2014 but 15/07/2014 and was issued with chip, rabies jab and passport on 18th oct 2014. then sent to uk on 6th Nov 2014.
I have since paid for micro chip and kennel club registration to be transferred into my name and insured him.
I got a phone call from a man stating that I was given the wrong puppy , and he first asked if I wanted to swop but I said No way as he was a pet and very happy settled with me . He said ok that was fair enough but explained that he was a breeder and wanted him as a stud dog. he seemed really concerned about the kennel club registration and at first said that it wasn't relevant to my dog and I should just rip it up ? he then said he was sorry they had mixed up the dogs and offered me my £1200 back as way of compensation and I could keep the dog. why not have him neutered and rip up the pedigree form, and we will say no more about it. also he asked for a photo of the dog now as he would really like to see him and check he was ok?
I have sent him a photo and he phoned to say he was indeed a lovely dog and its a shame his partner gave us the wrong one but to send him my bank details and he would refund me and we will consider it case closed.
I am worried that he might try and get my dog back and also that he might use my dogs perigee and picture to sell the other pup he has?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

When you say get the dog back, in what way?

Alex Watts :

If he was to use your dogs picture, wouldn't someone else see it was a different dog when they came to collect it?

Customer:

well he said he was a breeder of French bull dogs (which sell for anything up to £5000 ) depending on their pedigree and when I was searching for a breeder I went to a kennel club breeder (or so I thought). I an concerned that something very illegal is going on here . the pedigree dogs come in particular markings and can look very similar as proved as I was given the wrong fawn with a black muzzle pup, which was older than advertised

Alex Watts :

Indeed, it does seem strange. I would at first case report it to the Police, so if anything does happen, they have a record to start with.

Alex Watts :

As for him getting the dog back, unless he comes to steal it, there is nothing the Police can do

Alex Watts :

You can't go to Court and get an injunction unless there has been a threat or anything.

Alex Watts :

At this stage, he just said good luck

Alex Watts :

So unless there is anything illegal, the Police wont and cant do anything

Alex Watts :

As for the picture, again the Police wont act unless there is anything illegal

Alex Watts :

You dont know that he is trying to sell your pup or the other pups wrongly.

Alex Watts :

All you can do is report the matter to the Police about your concerns

Customer:

Trade and standards are on the case and I think that they have been in contact with Mr Rogers , who's panicking and basically

Alex Watts :

Nothing illegal has happened and whilst the circumstances are a little strange, nothing illegal has taken place.

Alex Watts :

I see

Alex Watts :

If Trading Standards are involved then you need not do anytihng

Alex Watts :

But keep the pup secure for the moment and do not leave unattended.

Customer:

offered me money to end any further inquiries'

Alex Watts :

But at this stage, it does not appear there is anything illegal as such

Alex Watts :

Yes but offering you a refund is not in itself illegal.

Alex Watts :

I agree the circumstances regarding Hungry are unusual but this is in hand

Customer:

I know that if the dog was born in the EU , he has to be registered as an illegal import on the pedigree Kennel club record and he has been registered as being born in uk and given another date of birth

Alex Watts :

Indeed.

Alex Watts :

What legal question would you like to ask me about this situation?

Customer:

if I take his money as way of compensation for the mix up , will he be entitled to claim my dog back? also just to clarify I have no wish to breed from my puppy or sell him as he is a family pet.

Alex Watts :

No. He has never asked for the dog back, he has just simply said here is a refund

Alex Watts :

So no - he would not be able to demand it back

Customer:

Ok thanks , I was surprised he offered to give me my money back, I just think he wants it to go no further with Trade and standards which is fine by me if he refunds me

Alex Watts :

Yes I was surprised too

Alex Watts :

But Trading Standards are on the case

Alex Watts :

Customer:

he just said if they contact you , just say you are satisfied now

Alex Watts :

Ok, you are satisfied. I think he does not want Trading Standards to investigate for whatever reason

Alex Watts :

But in any event the fact you have the dog and your money is unusal

Customer:

what do you suggest I do

Alex Watts :

At this stage nothing is needed.

Alex Watts :

You have the dog, you have the money

Alex Watts :

Just let Trading Standards continue to work

Customer:

ok thankyou

Alex Watts :

At the moment you have not suffered any loss and indeed financially better off

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you about this?

Customer:

no that's all thanks

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could ask you to rate my service to you, before you go today. The button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply