13262538

My husband left the marital home four years ago.At this point

Customer Question

My husband left the marital home four years ago.At this point in time he is not supporting us financially,apart from paying my son Patrick's grammar school fees.These are paid for by the firm he works for as a perk.Ihave E mailed him several times to inquire as to whether Patrick's A level tuition will be paid for.Patrick is dyslexic and staying at his present school would be a great advantage. Not receiving any reply I, assume the tuition fees wiil stop . I am really struggling to pay the mortgage.My husband and I co own the house will he be entitled to half the house? Ican't sell it as he does'nt respond to my requests for permission to sell it. Your help would be appreciated Lisa .
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there and what income do you each have?
Does your husband work for a Uk based company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The house has been valued recently at between 450to 500thousand pounds.The amount owing is430 thousand pounds.The payment plan is interest only,at nine hundred pounds a month.I have no other assets other than household furniture.My husband will not disclose his earnings. Ibelieve he flies for Quatar airways.Not British based. When in England he stays with his mother in Teddington. I'm unaware of his assets as he has an off shore account. My income is minimal. Irent two rooms out for approximately 900 pounds amonth. Sometimes I'm on benefits. Iworked over christmas earning enough to cover the mortgage.Iam looking for work and have an interview on Thursday. To survive my elderly parents stepin.

How often does he come to the Uk?
How far has the divorce reached?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The divorce is at the decree nisi stage. Ibelieve he can only stay in the country for 90 days. Idont know when he retuns ,at variable times Iwould imagine.

Is there any way that you can find out how often he is in the Uk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This would be difficult, Mydaughter's fiance is at Uni in Kingston and perhaps could check his mother's house periodically as my husband parks his car outside his mothers house.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This would be difficult.My daughter's fiance is a estudent at Kingston Uni .He is willing to visit Teddington where my husband's mother lives to seeif he is there. I believe he stays with his mother when in country. His car is parked outside his mothers house which sugests he is afairly frequent visitor.

That is helpful.
For clarity - your solicitor has told you that there is no point issuing any Financial application?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. She has stressed it would cost an awful lot of money and not guaranteed to bring a possitive outcome.

May I ask - do you want to sell the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ireally don't want to sell the house, but do I have an option?.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Ifeel really stressed about my situation and would like an answer quickly if possible.
Are you able to earn enough rent from your lodgers to cover the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If Iget a job very quickly, Yes. Up to now I've sold most of my jewelry.

Are you claiming all the benefits that you are entitled to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

YesI believe so.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes Ibelieve so.

As a starting point do use this guide to check your benefit position
http://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou
With regard to the issue of the house and the question of maintenance whilst I agree that it will not be easy there is no way of resolving the matter without a Court Application.
Starting the application need not be expensive - indeed if you are in receipt of Benefits you may be entitled to Fee Remission - and you can complete the form yourself
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/form-a-eng.pdf
Once the application has been issued it will have to be personally served on your ex - however if he IS a regular visitor to the UK then that should be possible.
Equally if your ex refuses to take part in the process you will able to get an Order committing him to prison for Contempt of Court - something he is unlikely to wish to risk.
If a maintenance Order is made and he refuses to pay then again one method of enforcement - a Judgement Summons would put him at risk of Imprisonment any time he comes to visit his mother.
Obviously it is a high risk option - but if he does wish to come to the Uk you do have some leverage
Please ask if you need further details