Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

there, Wondering if you can help me? I'm the owner

Customer Question

hi there,
Wondering if you can help me?
I'm the owner of a ground floor flat in a converted terraced house, with one other flat above
Both owners have a share of the freehold & there's is no management company etc
i'm looking at renovating our flat and modernising throughout... in doing so we'll be knocking through a structural wall (I'm working with a builder and structural engineer who is putting together the plans, party wall agreements and dealing with building control)
My question is in regards ***** ***** 'License to alter' i'm a little confused over this...
the structural engineer has advised me i need to issue it to our upstairs neighbours and that my solicitor will draft it
however i've been in contact with my solicitors and they have told me that i can do it myself?
i've searched the internet but i'm only finding information on landlords and tenants... or contacting management agents etc... nothing dealing with a shared freehold
Is this something i can do? if so how formal/legal does it need to be? or is there a template or example that i should be following?
thanks for you help any info would be of great help, please let me know if you need any further information
cheers
sheldon
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Is the freehold in both your names jointly?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi AJ

Yes the freehold is in (My partner and my name), and our (neighbour and his partner's name)

so we share it 50/50

there's no service charges or ground rent etc either

thanks

s

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
I know this may sound confusing but you need is the following:
A document signed by You, Your partner and your neighbour (as the landlord) granting yourself and your partner (as tenants) a license to alter your flat - in accordance with the terms of your lease.
Really this should be done by a solicitor, if you want to sell the flat in the future then the buyer will want evidence that you have proper consent for the works. On that basis I would insist that a solicitor does to ensure that the content is correct.
I look forward to hearing from you.
As a side point - http://www.lease-advice.org/information/faqs/faq.asp?item=149 For future reference if you need free advice on a Lease issue you can contact this Government backed service.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your help!

s

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
I wish you the best of luck.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further.
AJ