Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have a leasehold on a flat in east london, and the landlord

I have a leasehold on a flat in east london, and the landlord sold his freehold interest to another person. How can I find out who this is? This happened back in 2002 and since then no one has asked me for the annual ground rent
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
The first thing to note is that any ground that is older than 6 years and has not been demanded, the landlord will be statute barred from suing you for under the Limitation Act 1980.
Secondly the only way to find out who the freeholder is, is search the Land Registry - it will cost about £6-£12 and you can download the freehold title as long as you have the address and post code - https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry
For future reference - if you require any leasehold advice there is a free Government backed service that can give legal advice - www.lease-advice.org/
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Alex, does this mean that he/she could charge me for the last 6 years only?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is correct assuming no demand has been made for any charges that are older than 6 years.
AJ