75100385

, my name s Mike and I had an accident in November 14. It

Hi, my name s Mike and I had an accident in November 14. It was my fault. I haven't claimed anything from my insurance company yet and I have a question if it will further affect my insurance premium or my insurance premium has already been affected.
The accident was reported to the police and I am pretty sure the other party (she was driving old Vauxhall Corsa £700 market value) has already claimed money from my insurance company and I am not sure if I should make a claim or it will be cheaper for me if I pay cash to repair my car (Mercedes C class 06 plate, £4000 market value). It can be considered total, but will take me at least several hundred pounds of cash to repair it with second hand parts.
Alex Watts :

Hello Mike my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Just to be clear you have not made a claim but the third party has against your insurance?

Alex Watts :

If so, why did you not claim at the same time please?

Customer:

I did not make a claim because I am still not sure if my insurance premium will go up further if I make a claim. By the way, I am insured under company car policy and not sure if it will affect me personally. But my insurance broker (he is the owner of the company-policyholder) said it would affect me personally if I make a claim

Alex Watts :

But the other side claimed on your insurance?

Customer:

I beleive so. We exchanged insurance details and as she never got back to me, I think she made a claim

Alex Watts :

Ok. Thanks for the background, what is it you want to know?

Customer:

I want to know if it will make sense for me to make a claim

Customer:

I am worried that by making a claim I will have my insurance premiums even further

Alex Watts :

You may be too late if this happened in November 2014. The policy may state you have a limited time to report and claim. so you need to check what the policy says.

Alex Watts :

It may be you are too late in any event.

Alex Watts :

Clearly if you do the cost of repairs may be more than the car is worth and beyond economical repair.

Alex Watts :

On your own insurance you will be asked if you have EVER had any accidents or claims usually within the last 5 years.

Alex Watts :

Clearly you would have to declare this even if you didnt claim yourself.

Alex Watts :

As it asks for that

Alex Watts :

So its a matter for you.

Alex Watts :

But check the policy and the terms to see what they say

Customer:

So yo mean that in any case I have my insurance premiums increased already and it makes no difference for me if I calim or not?

Alex Watts :

Yes because you have been involved in an accident.

Alex Watts :

The risk is therefore higher

Alex Watts :

Even if you did not claim

Alex Watts :

You can have an accident and not claim, but still face higher premiums

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

That's fine. I just want to confirm that if I am able to make a claim, the by doing so it will not make my insurance premiums even worse than in case if I do not make any claims. Is that correct?

Alex Watts :

Thats right.

Alex Watts :

Your premium may increase but not as much as if you had made a claim

Customer:

Thank you very much Alex!

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience