31090051

I've received the standard Coyle White devine letter about

I've received the standard Coyle White devine letter about debt recovery from the UAE (over 5 years old). Letter doesn't look like they have bought the debt just acting for the First Gulf Bank. CWD seem to have a lot of people on their radar! How does one deal with these letters. Are they enforceable. I am loathe to repay, as I made an agreement and paid a debt in full with another bank only for them to come back 18 months letter and demand the balance!
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
When and where and for how much was the loan taken out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

taken out between late November 2008 and mid June 2009, in Abu Dhabi.CC circa £10k, loan circa £30k

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
What does the loan agreement say about which law applies to the loan? You'll have to check this. If Scots law applies the loan may be "time barred" if you have made no acknowledgement or payments towards it for over 5 years. If English law applies the period is 6 years.
If the law of Abu Dhabi applies I don't know what any time bar period would be but if they have to sue in Abu Dhabi they would have difficulty in enforcing any decree or judgment as there isn't any reciprocal treaty allowing enforcement of their court orders in the UK.
Happy to discuss further.
I hopee this helps. Please leave a positive feedback so that I am credited for my time.