HI Jo . we did say we wanted it doing asap and he said he could start that next week and it would take 2 to 3 weeks to complete . we asked for additional work to be done . a picket fence along the side of the block paving which he did while his son carried on with the block paving . he charged £300 for the fence and work to be done which we paid up front
i am sorry i dont understand . we paid the extra £300 for the fence panels and work 3 days before he did the work to enable him to get the fence and cement and post . so that was covered and the work for that done . other than this extra £300 for the extra work there has been no increases .
that is fine thank you .
he has not asked for any extra money but has not turned up to carry on with the work to complete the block paving or even started the back lawn
no whenever he has asked for the cash for materials we have paid him but he has just stopped coming to do the work
thank you Jo for your advice , please can you just clarify one thing . we will write again to him tomorrow as we told him in our last email he had another 2 weeks to get the job completed which would be by 19th january but because we did not put in time is of the essence do we now need to give him another date to get it done by and what would deem as a reasonable time as he has been promising to get it finished since the beginning of december ? also is it advisable to mention we have sort legal advice ?
thank you for your advice Jo . we have written the gardener a letter which he would have got by last thursday . as we have still not heard anything from giving him since beginning of last december to get it finished and still not heard anything we decided to give him until this friday to get the work completed . which we put in writing using the key words time is of the essence as you advised . we still have not heard anything from him so taking it he obviously is not going to get the work completed by the date specified . so how do we go about taking this further ? he has taken the bricks he didnt use even though the brickwork has not been completed so as we have paid for them has he got any right to keep them or can we insist on having them returned to us to enable the new person to get the job completed . ? and what is the next step to getting the ball rolling to take him to court to sue him ?
thank you for your advice it has been a big help . we will now wait and see what happens . he has not been in touch and the time period is up this friday so he obviously is not going to do the work .