31090051

Is there any law in Scotland that prohibits non-police staff,

Is there any law in Scotland that prohibits non-police staff, primarily security or door supervisor staff, carrying or using handcuffs to reduce the risk of a violence or to detain a person lawfully arrested if they are properly trained to do so?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You are speaking of a citizen's arrest. Unlike England we don't have any specific statutory law in Scotland about citizen's arrest.
However, the common law permits someone who has witnessed a serious crime to use reasonable force to detain the perpetrator until the police can attend and take over. Reasonable force would depend on the circumstances but it would be reasonable to restrain a violent perpetrator, by handcuffs if there was no alternative necessary.
Note that any person carrying out a citizen's arrest and detention on a person without having witnessing the crime being committed would run the risk of committing an offence, likely to be assault, themself.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excellent response. Very quick and accurate. Thank you