75100385

I am the freeholder of two properties one which I live in and

I am the freeholder of two properties one which I live in and the one below is owned by a leaseholder. The leaseholder has tenants in the property and installed wooden flooring which is causing a huge amount of noise nuisance can I instruct him to replace the flooring with carpet as his lease states that no disturbance should be caused to the people in the property above.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola

Yes I am fine to wait for an answer

Maria

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know whether wooden flooring is against the leaae?
Have you spoken with the freeholder?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex

I am the freeholder and whilst the lease does not state no wooden flooring it states not to cause disturbance (this is being caused continuously partly because of the wooden flooring)

Maria

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have stated all this in the original question don't you have this?

Sorry yes I misunderstaood.
Sounds obvious but I want to check, what is it you want to achieve ?
Has he be sent a solicitor letter at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not yet this will happen probably next week, that is why I wanted to know if I can request that the flooring be replaced before paying out huge fees to ask another solicitor

Maria

Yes.
The lease holder is in breach of the lease and you and request that it is removed. Further your Solicitor should say if he does not remove it you will seek to forfeit the lease on the basis of breach of covenant.
But yes, wooden flooring will cause nuisance or annoyance and the Courts are very much alive to this issue.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I just enquire if I can instruct the leaseholder to soundproof his property?

Maria

Not to soundproof no. Case law shows he can not be expected to alter the fabric of the building.
But to remove laminate and replace with carpet - yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your assistance. I shall instruct him proper insulation needs to be put under the carpet as well

Thanks. If I could kindly,ask you to rate my answer before you today.