12826847

I have been asked to act as guarantor son's rental application

I have been asked to act as guarantor for my son's rental application and he has advised me that the tenent screening company is likely to ask me for a non-returnable fee of £180 ostensibly for a credit search. Is this normal? it seems to me a little excessive as they are asking this from every prospective tenant and every guarantor.
Asking for a reference application fee is not at all unusual and the level does vary and although this is the top of what could normally be expected, there is very little you can do about it in all reality. You either pay the referencing fee or your son is unlikely to get the property rental.
You need to be aware that by signing the guarantee you are committing yourself to pay the rent and if your son doesn’t pay it for any reason, you will be stuck with paying it for the full tenancy term which may or may not be satisfactory for you. We get many questions on here from guarantors who want to get out of the guarantee because they didn’t understand what they were getting into and therefore it is essential that you understand liability here.
Also bearing in mind if your son damages the property doesn’t pay for the damage, also be responsible in any deposit is not sufficient to cover the damage.
Probably know all this already but I thought it was worthwhile confirm.
Can I clarify anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Jo,

I have now received the form online and am in the process of filling it in. I understand about the responsibility of a guarantor, and I would like to continue this dialogue shortly when I have completed the form and seen all of its requirements and implications.

I cannot see how to rate your answer without removing this reply box, but I intend to rate it as excellent!

Kind regards, Franc.

Thank you. It says "Rate to finish" but the thread actually stays open for us to continue if needed