75100385

I have been ''invited'' to attend a Police station in England

I have been ''invited'' to attend a Police station in England to answer allegations that I am told are for an arrestable offence. I live in France, and going to England will involve some expense! Do I have the right to know what it is I am supposed to have done before making expensive travel plans involving hotels etc?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Have they told you why or is it possible to be interviewed in France ?
Customer:

No, the Policeman contacted a cousin and a friend to ask where I was, I responded by e-mail, and as far as I am aware I have committed no offence, I told him I was disinclined to come to Alton Police Station in England, and he said I could either do so voluntarily or be arrested either in England or in France. He doesn't actually know my exact whereabouts as such

Alex Watts : One would expect given that you live so far away it would not be unreasonable to be told of the allegations
Alex Watts : Therefore they should inform you of the allegations to which you are facing, bearing in mind you live in another country.
Alex Watts : If they refuse then you can write to the Professional Standards Department and make a formal complaint.
Alex Watts : This will then be investigated.
Alex Watts : I can not see how it is reasonable for anyone to expect you to fly to the uk to go to s police station for an unknown matter.
Alex Watts : So either write and ask why you need to go and then complain either to a Professional Standards or The Chief Constable.
Customer:

Okay, many thanks. I will come back to you if necessary.

Alex Watts : the fact they don't know where you are helps. But if you are going to email make sure it's from an Internet cafe so your IP address is not traced to your home
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Thanks Alex, I have just written an e-mail to the Policeman asking for details of the alleged offence, I will wait for his reply and if necessary forward a transcript to you. As far as I am aware I have committed no crime, I spent Christmas with my French Partner in England and have returned to France with her, we plan to have a weeks holiday in Brittany at the end of this month and then i will return to my home in England. My partner and I plan to marry later this year, and I really don't want this kind of thing hanging over me.

Alex Watts : Indeed I agree. Can I clarify anything else for you?
Customer:

Alex, thanks for your assistance today, I have not had a reply to my last e-mail, but of course it may be the policeman's day off. I don't think I will require further assistance at least for the time being, but if I do I will come back to you if I may.

Customer:

Many thanks,

Customer:

Chris