12826847

we rent a commercial unit which we have been in

we rent a commercial unit which we have been in for nearly 3 years we have not got a contract with the landlord but he has asked us for a rent increase of a 100% can he do this
regards
jackie
How long is your contract please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we do not have a contract

regards

jackie

Unfortunately, the situation you are in is not favourable. Whilst the landlord cannot double the rent and you would be entitled to take him to court to have the rent set the market rent, because you have no tenancy agreement you occupy on a tenancy at will/licence and if you don’t agree to the rent can simply give you notice to quit.

Even if you did have a tenancy agreement it may be that the original rent was extremely low and all he is now asking for is the market rent although because you have no agreement and therefore no security of tenure, it is actually of no consequence.

I’m sorry that this is bad news for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

where would I get the data what is market rent

jackie

An commercial valuer would do that for you. They may wanta fee for it