31090051

I have a mortgage with Santander.on my property I have a large

Customer Question

I have a mortgage with Santander.on my property I have a large former working garage.I have successfully gained planning permission to convert the garage to a bungalow.santander say they will not allow me to develope the site with my current mortgage and tell me to get another mortgage with a specialised lender.my house has been valued at £500.000 without the building plot. Santanders liability is £265.000.initially I paid £440.000 whole property.I have read terms and conditions and nothing contained within them says I cannot build this bungalow in fact is it says ,"you will make sure any buildings being built on the property are completed without delay and are properly built in accordance with applicable building regulations,planning and other consents".could you tell me please am I able to convince Santander to allow me to pursue my plans to build this property and enable me to split the title deed. Thankyou
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question.
Why won't they let you do this? Have you only dealt with them by phone? Have you shown them a current valuation of the house?
I suspect whoever you dealt with on the phone hasn't fully understood your proposal. All you need from Santander presumably is permission to split the title and release the building plot from their charge.
I presume the funding of the build project will have nothing to do with them. You should have your solicitor write in formal terms to Santander explaining the proposal in detail and providing a valuation.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited time.