Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I AM DISABLED MAN WHO HAS BEEN OFFERED A NEW BACK TO MY RECLINER

Customer Question

I AM DISABLED MAN WHO HAS BEEN OFFERED A NEW BACK TO MY RECLINER CHAIR AS THEY ARE A FIRE HAZARD ,NOW MY CHAIR IS FAULTY AND I WANTED A SERVICE MAN TO COME AND LOOK AT MY CHAIR AND REPLACE THE BACK OF MY CHAIR ,BUT THEY SAID NO IT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY BUT ON A RETURN TO BASE. I CANT SEND IT BACK AS I HAVE NO PACKING AND I CANT SEND IT EVEN IF I WANTED TO ,THE COURIER ACTUALLY TO THE PACKING AWAY, BUT BECAUSE I LIVE IN SCOTLAND THEY WONT COME AND MEND MY CHAIR BUT THE CAN DELIVER IT NO PROBLEM
THE COMPANY IS PRO RIDER MOBILITY LTD
NORTHAMPTON TEL ***********
ps I AM A DISABLED PENSIONER AND I CANT AFFORD TO SEND IT BACK BY COURIER
CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE TO GET SOME SATISFACTION
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
I am sorry to hear of the issue you are experiencing.
I would recommend that you write to them and state the following:
- Say they have provided you with a faulty product that is clearly not "fit for purpose";
- Say that you are vulnerable individual and accordingly cannot comply with their prohibitive conditions in order to make a warranty claim;
- Say that if they do not either replace the chair or send some to repair it, you reserve any rights available to you for breaching their obligations under the Sale of Goods Act 1979;
- Say that if they do not respond within a reasonable period of time you reserve the right to report them to Trading Standards (and maybe the press) - www.tradingstandards.gov.uk
All councils including in Scotland will have a Trading Standards Office.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ