75100385

I've had an incident with London Underground, namely "traveling

Customer Question

I've had an incident with London Underground, namely "traveling without having previously paid the fare". On the day this happened l was assured that if l wrote to them with an apology they wouldn’t take any further action. So it came as an surprise to me when l received the court papers requiring that l appear before the local Magistrates. My letter of apology l subsequently sent to them was not included in these papers.
I've noticed in the Court papers that LU employee who stopped me has named herself as a witness, yet she was someone who arrested me, searched my personal possessions manhandled me and in her statement to the Court she also introduces herself as a Control Inspector employed by London Underground. My understanding of a witness is someone impartial who simply happens to be there and sees an event happening.
I also wanted to point out that on the day this happened l was prevented from making a phone call and accessing some kind of advice. I was literally placed under arrest yet when reading through the Court Papers l noticed the following inaccuracy: "At 9:00 hours l cautioned Mr A V and reminded him that he was not under arrest and that he was free to leave at any time." I feel so strongly about this as it's totally incorrect. In fact it's exactly the opposite. The only way to leave was to cross the barrier, which was guarded by London Underground.
Their all manners were bordering brutality and they were certainly disproportionate.
On the other side my present intention is to plead guilty to the charge as l did on the day in question. My only mitigation circumstance if there was any was my dire financial situation. I had just started this new temp work and l simply had no money to travel to work until my first pay.
At this moment in time l don't mind any penalty and Court Cost. The only thing which terrifies me the most is that l'm now going to have a "Criminal Record" rest of my life. Yet ironically when l asked L U employee on the day of the incident l was assured that this was not the case. Clearly this was yet another one of their lies.
In my life l've seen discrimination in the face too many times and from now on l'm also going to live with this kind of stigma.
I'm waiting to hear from you.
Ardian Vruzhi
*****@******.*** ***********
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts :

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

what is it you want to achieve in relation to this?

JACUSTOMER-56b6m027- :

Thank you back to me.

Alex Watts :

Happy to help, but what do you want to achieve?

Alex Watts :

Do you accept you didnt have a valid ticket?

JACUSTOMER-56b6m027- :

My only concern is that l'm going to have a criminal record in my file

Alex Watts :

But do you accept you didnt have a valid ticket?

JACUSTOMER-56b6m027- :

Yes, l've already accepted that to London Underground. I was assured that if l cooperate no further action would be taken.

Alex Watts :

Ok. Did you get a penalty notice?

Alex Watts :

Have you asked whether they would accept an out of Court settlement?

JACUSTOMER-56b6m027- :

No, l did not a Penalty Notice. Every job application, every recruitment agency l get registered with is running this CRB check. All my other personal stats (age, nationality etc) are aginst me and now l have to present this. No, l have not asked them whether they would accept an out of Court settlement.

Alex Watts :

Ok - ask them whether they will accept an out of Court settlement

Alex Watts :

Be nice, be polite, be concerned.

Alex Watts :

Dont be rude, because by rights they can refuse\

Alex Watts :

But if you deal with it out of Court the penalty will be higher, but you wont have a conviction

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything about this today please?

JACUSTOMER-56b6m027- :

Many Thanks. Who do l write to?

Alex Watts :

There should be some details on the summons or documents?

Alex Watts :

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/useful-contacts/

Alex Watts :

TfL Customer Services
4th Floor
14 Pier Walk
London SE10 0ES

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-56b6m027- :

The address on the Court summons papers is not Customer Services, but Operations Directorate Transport and that is not the same Dept.

JACUSTOMER-56b6m027- :

Ardian Vruzhi

23 Arlington Lodge

Brixton Hill

London, SW2 1RE

Transport

Enforcement & On Street

Operations Directorate

9G4 Palestra

*****/p>

London, SE1 8NJ

Dear Transport ,

Following your Court application l’m required to attend my local Magistrate on 05/02/15. On the day of the incident 02/10/15 l was assured by your colleague that if l write back to you with an apology, no further action would be taken.

On 07/10/14 l sent you an sincere and heartfelt apology with a strong indication that this episode was indeed out of my character and also the steps l had taken in order to rectify the situation and make sure that this unpleasant episode is never been repeated again.

I’m up against an enormous challenge in my everyday life. I’ve lived alone my life and l suffer with a catalogue of medical conditions including Severe Depression. My chances of a decent career and employment are very slim indeed. A Criminal Record in my file will ruin them forever more.

As I was never issued with a Penalty Fare from you, l’m now more than happy to pay a higher Penalty Fare and try and mend my career, which is why l’m desperately hopping if you could show some leniency and drop off this Charge.

I’d like to take this opportunity to assure you once again that that this unpleasant episode will never be repeated again.

I enclose a copy of my letter of 07/10/2014 and also a copy of my current Oyster Card which has a Monthly Travelcard.

As this Court appearance is scheduled /02/14 l’m anxiously waiting to hear from you as early as possible.

Kind Regards

Ardian Vruzhi

Cc: Sustomer Services; 4-th Floor; 14 Pier Walk; London SE10 0ES

JACUSTOMER-56b6m027- :

Thank you I was wondering if you could have a look at the letter above l'm about to sent them.

Alex Watts :

Yes that seems fine. I would also add that you want to make an out of Court settlement as you have no criminal convictions and want this matter resolved

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-56b6m027- :

Thank you so much. I've just sent both copies of the letters out. One to Enforcement Dept, which was showing in the Court papers and another one to the Customer Services address you gave me.

Alex Watts :

Ok great. If this answers your question can I ask you to rate my answer before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need further help please click reply

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/