Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have just agreed to buy solar panels and have paid my deposit

Customer Question

I have just agreed to buy solar panels and have paid my deposit by debit card. I have discovered that I can get the same system £2000 cheaper, unfortunately I signed a waiver of the 14 days cooling off period. I have been in touch with my bank who say they cannot stop the payment as the money has already gone out of my account. Where do I stand with this....can I legally back out?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. :

, Thank you question and welcome. When did you pay the money? Have they started making the panels yet? Kind regards AJ

JACUSTOMER-dpt4s2yn- :

, I paid this morning about 10 am and don't think they will have started the panels yet

Alex J. :

, Thank you. When you waived your cooling off period did they explain to you the significance of this? Do any of the terms and conditions state the deposit is non refundable? How much is the deposit?

JACUSTOMER-dpt4s2yn- :

Just re-reading the terms

JACUSTOMER-dpt4s2yn- :

I paid £1875 and it says that the deposit would be repaid less reasonable expenses if you sign the waiver

Alex J. :

, Thank you. I think you have to call immediately and find out what the reasonable expenses are - if it is only a couple of hundred pounds I would then follow this up with an email to cancel .

Alex J. :

If you contact them an cancel today it is unlikely they will be able to claim any reasonable expenses are incurred.

JACUSTOMER-dpt4s2yn- :

Thank you very much, I will do this straight away

Alex J. :

As they have not stated the deposit is non refundable, you are legally entitled to it being returned.

Alex J. :

If they refuse you can either:

Alex J. :

1) Sue them

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Alex J. :

2) Complain to trading standards -

www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

Alex J. :

You must cancel in writing as soon as possible and get them to confirm receipt.

Alex J. :

The longer you leave the greater the chance they can claim they have incurred expense.

JACUSTOMER-dpt4s2yn- :

Thank you help I have an attachment to the contract to enable me to cancel in writing

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
, Thank you kind feedback.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further.
AJ