Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I purchased a Groupon voucher (as a Christmas Gift

I purchased a Groupon voucher (as a Christmas Gift and daughter in law) Forest VW Camper Hire Hampshire 3 night Rental to Four arriving between 5 January and 28 April 2015. I paid via credit card in the sum of £199. Daughter in law has tried to book and only 3 dates were possible, two were imminent and too short notice to arrange and the third she is not able to use due to work problems. Groupon would not offer alternative year or allow refund. (Usual 14 day cancellation on voucher.) Is there anything I can do to recover my money?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. At the time you purchased were you aware or made aware that this would be subject to availablilty within the time limit and that there was limited availability?

Customer:

taratill

Customer:

Thank you response. There is nothing stated on the voucher to advise that this would be subject to availability but my common sense would make me realise that this would be the case. It does say under stay details that additional days or nights are available, enquire on booking. I understand that the third party company only have 4 vans hence the limited availability. I have not mentioned that the 14 day cancellation period has already expired as the voucher was purchased on the 11.11.14

taratill :

The fact that you purchased these vouchers on your credit card gives you added protection as, over £100, s.75 of the Consumer Credit Act gives protection by making the credit card jointly liable when something goes wrong with a purchase. You can argue that availability was misrepresented by virtue of the fact that you were not told that there was limited availability at the time you purchased and the compnay will not extend the voucher.

taratill :

A claim under s.75 need to be made to your bank. You should ask relevant form to make a claim.

taratill :

Please let me know if there is anything further you would like to know.

Customer:

Jenny

Customer:

Thank you response - it confirms what I had already thought that there might be a claim under s.75 . I will try and see what happens. Many thanks.