Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

During telephone conversation with house and contents provider

Customer Question

During telephone conversation with house and contents provider they read a disclaimer stating your alarm must be on whenever you leave the house etc, I stopped them and stated that we do not have an alarm and never have done. After they discussed this with their manager they stated the policy was void and it would be cancelled with immediate affect. We were not given a form to state where a alarm was located, if it was linked to the police station, what make it was and we have certainly not claimed to have one. We have been able to gain insurance from another company, however does this mean that we are blacklisted in some way, due to their cancellation? Thank you
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. :

, Thank you question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Insurance companies cannot black list you like this. The only danger is if you are ever asked by another insurer whether you have been denied cover. If they ask this question you are under a good faith obligation to be as honest as possible to insurance companies.

Alex J. :

There is not some wide ranging exchange of information following reasons:

Alex J. :

1. Personal data is protected by the Data Protection Act 1998;

Alex J. :

2. The insurance system would not work if insurers had such an advantage to share information like this.

Alex J. :

If you ever have a complaint about your insurer you should contact the Financial Ombudsman -

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Alex J. :

Can I assist any further? Kind regards AJ