75100385

I am closing my business on 31 January 2015. I have notified

I am closing my business on 31 January 2015. I have notified BT of my closure. They said I am tied into a 5 year contract landline and broadband business package and that to terminate the contract would cost roughly £1500 due to early cancellation fee, effectively they want me to pay 4 years after closing business package. Id this standard practice, to pay such a high bill, when I will only of had the benefit of 1 year of their services?
Alex Watts :

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Can you confirm that you are tied into a 5 year contract please?

Customer:

I moved premises last year and they said with that the contract started again from the new premises - they also said that they have the telephone conversation recorded which stats that I agreed to this, although when I was on the phone to them at the time I did say if I were to close then would that mean I can still get out of the contract - which they said yes, but apparently that's not the bit which has been recorded. However I have nothing in writing if that helps?

Alex Watts :

Sadly I dont think the fact it is in writing helps.

Alex Watts :

Sadly if you wanted to get out of the contract you would need to show that part of the conversation took place

Alex Watts :

I think based on what you have said, it would be very hard to show this

Alex Watts :

It is their word against yours.

Alex Watts :

You agree you entered into the contract, the termination clause is disputed.

Alex Watts :

However I would write formally and complain about them using their complaints procedure

Alex Watts :

You can follow the procedure here:

Alex Watts :

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15399

Alex Watts :

If you are not satisfied with the response you can contact the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They offer a free, independent service at http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything about this today please?

Customer:

Alex,

Customer:

Thank you answer I shall make a formal complaint and then follow it up.

Alex Watts :

Great. Can I help with anything else today?

Customer:

If I choose not to pay, are they likely to win in court if it were ever to go to court, as I see it as daylight robbery?

Alex Watts : There is a chance yes I am sorry
Customer:

OK. Thank you.

Alex Watts : If I could ask you to rate my service before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/