UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

JGM,I have a question about immigration that I'm hoping you ca

Customer Question

JGM,
I have a question about immigration that I'm hoping you can assist with.
I'm a Greek citizen and my husband is British.
We've been married years now and I want to know if I can apply to become a British citizen by way of marriage?
Susan
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Susan,
If you have been exercising treaty rights in the UK least 5 years, you may apply citizenship on the basis of having permanent residency in the UK and on the basis of marriage to a British Citizen which entitles you to apply Citizenship the moment you become a permanent resident in the UK.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there,

Just to clarify, being a Greek citizen with a Greek passport does not automatically mean I'm a permanent resident in the UK?

I've lived here in my own apartment years and been married years to a British citizen.

Can I apply citizenship on those two criteria alone?

As a Greek Citizen with a Greek Passport, you are entitled to reside in the UK provided you are exercising treaty rights I.e. Working, studying or being self sufficient.
You need to reside in the UK years before you are deemed to be a permanent resident provided you have been exercising treaty rights 5 years.
Once you become a permanent resident, you can apply Citizenship straight away on the basis of marriage to a British Citizen.
To answer your question, no, you cannot apply on those two criteria alone.
Hope this answers your query.
Please leave feedback