Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

What actions can i take against a surveyor after showing my

Customer Question

What actions can i take against a surveyor after showing my original boundary points and my COT who surveys my land people and allow them to build on it?
Thanks *****
Michael Charles
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. : Thank you question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Alex J. : based purely on what you have told me you may have two options:
Alex J. : 1. You can make a complaint to the surveyors regulator -
Alex J. : http://www.rics.org/uk/regulation1/complaints1/
Alex J. : 2. If they have provided you with a service they may be in breach of s13 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Failure to provide the service with reasonable care and skill - if that is the case you would have a claim of this implied term.
Alex J. : You could bring a court claim but you would need to show that they had been negligent and you had suffered a loss you can prove.
Alex J. : I would recommend as a starting point you contact the surveyor and find out if they have indemnity insurance. If you are successful in any claim it will likely only be paid if they have insurance especially if it is a substantial claim.
Alex J. : You then need to work out your loss - this may involve having to obtain the opinion of another surveyor.
Alex J. : If you can prove your loss then this may be a starting point to commence a claim.