75100385

please could you advise me on what to do regarding a dispute

Customer Question

Hi please could you advise me on what to do regarding a dispute i have with npower, long story but i moved into my rented property in march 2013 and was told all utility companies would be intouch regarding billing etc all did bar my electricity suppier, i didnt even now who was the provider so had no way of knowing who to contact, as time went on i totally forgot until a year later when i recieved a letter from npower about a warrant for entry of my property i rang them instantly and it transpird they had been sending the bills to a totally wrong address and obviously a debt had built up, when they realised their mistake they cancelled the warrant but were asking for a large payment but i wanted verifying that they had been reading the correct meter and was being charged correctly so i optained the meter readings and sent them hoping this would start to resolve the matter but all thet have done since then is sent threating letters saying "pay now" "disconnection" etc etc. I got knowhere when i tried to ring customer services so i started responding by letters requesting a phone call but again no personal reply, i sent an email last week and again no reply but today i have recieved a letter from them about them gaining entry to my house again. Please advise me on my next step. I have never disputed the balance needs paying all i have asked for is confirmation that i've been billed for the correct usage, to get in a reasonable monthly payment scheme to cover current usage and pay off the debt and maybe an apolgy for the unnecessary stress they have caused me, not to mention the irrepairable damage to my credit rating. Many thanks Mark.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Can you confirm there are missed payments or defaults on your credit file because of Npower please Mark?

JACUSTOMER-zfoa4vxy- :

Yes i believe there must be

Alex Watts :

You need to check first.

Alex Watts :

I would go to www.creditexpert.co.uk

Alex Watts :

Get a report as it should be free

Alex Watts :

Unless they have a Court Judgment against you they are unlikely to have any adverse credit.

Alex Watts :

If there is not, then you are all good and can continue with your life.

Alex Watts :

At that point you just need to complain to the Ombudsman at:

Alex Watts :

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/energy.html

Alex Watts :

But I will outline the process if there is adverse credit.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and formally ask that they amend within 14 days or say you will take the matter to Court.

Alex Watts :

If they refuse then you need to issue proceedings using form N208

Alex Watts :

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n208-eng.pdf

JACUSTOMER-zfoa4vxy- :

The letter i recieved today says they can gain entry to my property in the next 7 days

Alex Watts :

The Data Protection Act says:

Alex Watts :

14Rectification, blocking, erasure and destruction.

(1)If a court is satisfied on the application of a data subject that personal data of which the applicant is the subject are inaccurate, the court may order the data controller to rectify, block, erase or destroy those data and any other personal data in respect of which he is the data controller and which contain an expression of opinion which appears to the court to be based on the inaccurate data.

Alex Watts :

The Court will consider what you have to say and then instruct that they amend your credit file within 14 days

Alex Watts :

The Act also states:

Alex Watts :

13Compensation for failure to comply with certain requirements.

(1)An individual who suffers damage by reason of any contravention by a data controller of any of the requirements of this Act is entitled to compensation from the data controller for that damage.

Alex Watts :

They need a Court order to enter the property and if they dont have one, you can attend Court and object.

Alex Watts :

You would be notified of any Court date and can go alone

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-zfoa4vxy- :

It is not the credit rating thats really bothering me, its the fact that they havent taken any responsability for the debt thats mounted up and have ignored all my efforts to resolve it.

Alex Watts :

Indeed. Then you should write formally and complain and go to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

But you cant go to the Ombudsman until you have had a formal final response from Npower

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/