How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69256
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have had (what were) friends (it started out as just

Resolved Question:

I have had (what were) friends (it started out as just Bryan without his wife and now son) staying at my house on the understanding it was temporary.However, despite my frequent asking to sort out a new place. (They keep saying " I'll do this I'll do that" but nothing ever happens), they have been here years.
Its a large house and basically they have been left to themselves with us generally granting them privacy although I have had, and used, access to all areas they occupy.
I eventually was forced to give them 2 months written notice stating that after that date they will no longer have access to our home.
Bryan signed the letter stating he understood the contents and agreed.
They have contributed to the services they use gas/ electric etc. But now (after a visit to the council) are claiming they have/are paying rent.
Can I eject them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Have they ever paid rent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No although they contribute to the services they use...he is now claiming they pay rent.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Does he pay you a certain amount each month or week?
Do you share amenities like a kitchen or bathroom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No its a differing amount he may have paid one amount few weeks then we might have to ask ...we have had to ask as they were using so much fuel.

the house actually has 2 bathrooms and two kitchens but nothing has stopped them or us using either..there are no locks on doors etc.

as far as rent he kept calling his contribution rent and I kept telling him its not rent its paying energy

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do you share anything? Sitting room ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We don't no. When it was Bryan on his own he would come and sit with us. But after his wife came from India and never went home they chose to stay in the bedrooms I asume it was a choice its how it ended up

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
On your account, he is just a guest and you can ask him to leave at any time.
However, you are vulnerable to the allegation that they are tenants. They will say that they have a self contained property and that they are paying rent. I am not clear how they will explain that the sums they pay vary but people like that have been known to lie.
Therefore I would suggest that you treat them as tenants and serve a S21 notice upon them. You can end this agreement without giving a reason but you do need to serve proper notice. If you do that then you can seek a possession order against them.
If you are prepared to take risks then you could just ask them to leave upon reasonable notice and change the locks when they leave. If your account is accepted then you are free to do that because they are guests but I wouldn't suggest it as it is too dangerous because they might prefer their version of events.
Can I clarify anything ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

My instinct now is to "take the risk"

Especially as he signed the letter

I fail to see how they could verify any of their claims but the council are sufficiently interested as now it seems I will be getting an environmental health visit..surely if I am not a landlord I don't need to allow him in or until my "status" becomes one of landlord. Its just a normal house so an inspection is not a problem but I am now worried that if I let the guy in I am in some way admitting to something (this has made me very distrustful ).

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They may not be able to verify their claims but that doesn't always stop officialdom from acting against people.
The attachment does not give them reasonable notice. Normally 14 days is the minimum but 28 days is better.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69256
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that letter gives them 2 months??

written 23 November deadline 25 January (signed 28th Nov)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

last question

If I decide to eject them can I cut off the power etc to any areas of my house I choose? (even if this is before they physically leave our home?)

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not if their account is accepted.
If they argue that they are tenants then cutting off power would amount to unlawful eviction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Who would decide if its "accepted"?

and even though I am paying all utility bills?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If they complain to the police that they are tenants then you could find yourself defending an allegation of unlawful eviction. I have to say that the police do not generally waste their time on that any more though.
The Council could act I'm afraid. Unfortunately there are some 'good' people within the Council with sympathise with the people in this world who are good at being victims.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.


thank you

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. information, please start your question with ‘ C’. You can also bookmark my profile

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice